Wednesday 29 September 2010

What would You Do without Broadband ?

A few weeks ago, the Power Company came out to carry out some maintenance down the road and in doing so pulled down my telephone line by mistake. It happens ! I lost my landline telephone and broadband for 3 days. No access to the internet, email, data etc etc. What would you do ? How would you cope ?

If you are a large company, you may have an emergency office to use temporarily as part of your business continuity plan. For smaller companies, with no prior arrangements in place, you either work from a public wifi hot spot ( potentially insecure, not easily available ) ; rent a temporary office by the hour or day ( expensive ) or work from home ( impractical and disruptive for staff ). Of course, if you are a sole trader already working from home, then this becomes an even bigger issue for you.

While all the options above may work for you, the biggest problem in an emergency is actually knowing just that it is in fact an emergency and how long it is going to last.
You may not realise, as I did for an hour or so, that my loss of internet was not a computer or router issue but actually a more significant line issue. You will therefore lose substantial time and suffer severe disruption to your business while working this out !


Instead, there is an even simply solution that saved the day for me. I used my mobile broadband USB that I keep as a back up in my office for just such an occasion and was I pleased that I had it ! Its an incredibly easy and efficient device, for a very small monthly payment, that allowed me to continue working normally while waiting for news that the emergency was over. No fuss, abortive time or need to travel elsewhere.

Even better, I also use the device when travelling on business or when away on holiday to ensure I always get a secure connection and don't have to spend time working out how to connect to a hotel network. It's small and easy to carry with you. So, it's good for both longer term use as well as intermittent or emergency problems.

Best of all though is that it only takes a minute, literally, to get it up and running and that surely is the most effective response any business could want in an emergency ?