Saturday 21 November 2009

The pleasure of Smart Mobile Working

Its 630 am and I am on my way to a meeting with a client. I will drive to the station, meet up with a colleague, catch a train, have the meeting and get back in time to pick my son up from school at 5 pm. Well, that's the plan anyway.

A day out of my office, away from the desk and the normal business support available to me... telephone, PC, as well as help and advice from colleagues. I hope that I have all the information required for the client. Also, whilst I am out, that the the office does receive an expected order from another customer ( or we will not be able to deliver on time ) and of course, that nothing unexpected happens anyway ( may be because I forgot to tell someone something ? ).

The list of possible concerns is endless and it used to be that all you could do was cross your fingers, rely on the office to cover for you and deal with anything that arises tommorow. I say used to, because surely no one still operates like that in our 24/7, always on, global, instantaneous world now ?

Well, it might surprise you to know that recent pink connect research of SME businesses showed that the vast majority still do so. And why is that ?

It is mainly because either they thought it was too expensive (it was, but costs have reduced considerably now ) or they did not realise they could operate more effectively in a different way ( they can, with sound advice ).

So what is the difference ? Let's get back to my day trip. As with the aid of my trusty smart mobile phone I was able to ;

  • Get the overnight news on my industry (via internet news feed)
  • Receive a call from my colleague saying she was ill and could not make the meeting (via bluetooth handsfree in the car)
  • Have her client notes for the meting sent to me (via email)
  • Find the client's location (via GPS Maps)
  • Arrange a follow up meeting with colleagues and client (via synchronised calendars)
  • Check on alternative train times when the meeting overran (via internet)
  • Review the order from my other customer (via autofax to email)
  • Receive a text message from my son that he would be late (via SMS)
  • Deal with the normal day's business (via phone and email)
In other words smart telecoms enabled me to instantly touch everything I needed, as though I was still in the office, sitting at my desk responding to colleagues, customers, suppliers and urgent personal matters in the usual way.
So for me, mobile working is not a negative burden but a positive delight. A liberating experience that means I can now seamlessly handle my personal and business ; routine and urgent ; individual and team tasks whenever I want, whereever I am.
Oh and and by the way, do you know what the best feature of a smart mobile phone is ? It's the on/off button... because you always have the choice !